Yesterday, I spoke in Music. I woke up today, rushed to my computer, found the piece I had been listening to, and then I clicked here and there, listening to Mozart, Brahms, and then... I clicked on Bach.
And it was sublime. I couldn't move. I couldn't breathe.
And I never felt so inferior in my life.
Bach is famous for counterpoint. If you don't know what that is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterpoint.
So, Bach somehow composes this fugue so that there are four (or five, or more!!!! who knows? I only heard four) distinct voices with distinct melodies that makes sense harmonically. If that isn't sick enough, try playing the fugue backwards. It STILL makes sense in terms of chord progression and harmony.
How do you do that?
How do you think of that?
How does that come to your head?
How do you put that kind of thing together?
Bach says: "I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results."
Does this sound hopeful? Motivational?
Who does Bach think he's fucking kidding?
Look, I don't doubt that if I do cultivate my talents, I will accomplish something.
But,
I feel like I lack the talent to do as much as Bach.
But then again,
Bach also said: "It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself."
maybe that's really all it takes.
Hard work towards touching the right key at the right time.
and one last quote from Bach, ze master of counterpoint: "Bring me a bowl of coffee before I turn into a goat."
your brother would find it intriguing that you take so much interest in your rape victim...
ReplyDeleteJUST KIDDING :P
that is incredible, and it is also incredible as to how you get so much out of music...like, wow. I wish I were half as touched by music as you are...I mean it when I say that your propensity is a gift in itself.