Hell, I don't even have 40 friends and I have enemies (maybe not?). Well this epic film is bringing to light creation, betrayal, dedication and "idea" to theaters some day. Hopefully not today, or tomorrow or the day after tomorrow... whatever. you get my point.
So here's what bugs me about this documentary-ish thing (other than the fact that it's featuring justin timberlake), this epic story of how a genius stuck in Harvard creates this social networking site which quickly spreads throughout the Harvard community and infects the rest of us like an unstoppable plague and then DUN DUN DUN, right when Mark's about to make the big bucks as a BILLIONAIRE ("i wanna be a billionaire so fucking bad..."), he gets betrayed, faces court charges but in the end, he prevails and becomes freaking rich and successful!: it's actually pointless. I mean, yes, every success story does have an unnecessary amount of drama to it, but that's not what gets me. What pisses me off is the fact that all this crap starts with some random genius dude who gets this genius idea and shi bang bang bang. GREATNESS! it's like. I'm pretty sure that's not how it happened. so they throw in BETRAYAL! ... and then it ends with PERSEVERENCE AND GREATNESS! so what we get stuck with is. GENIUS! GREATNESS! BETRAYAL! PERSEVERENCE! GREATNESS! ... well. thanks? When I get my big breakthrough smoking pot, I'll know what to expect. I'm not a fan of Mark Zuckerberg (really I'm not) and I sort of think he's ... a bit of a douche (but this is from the one encounter I actually had with him) but I'm not going to "contain" his accomplishments (i mean, if this blog was as widespread as fb, I'd be the one with the big bucks, the books, the movies, etc.) in some little box that plebians can understand. Which is exactly what these kinds of films DO. I haven't watched it, so I don't know if I'm being unnecessarily biased, but the trailer (yes, I even gave it the chance to prove its worth to me) was... terrible? really? GENIUS! BETRAYAL! = = . Someone kill me? seriously?
I don't know if people get inspired by this shit, but personally, I feel like it just trivializes the achievement. wtf is GENIUS anyway?
I don't buy it. Do you?
ahaha agreed, through and through.
ReplyDeleteHave you seen Inception yet? Saw it last night, which is when I had to see the trailer...the best part of the trailer, though, is the background music...this creepy choral version of Radiohead's "Creep" whose lyrics include:
"I'm a creep/
I'm a weirdo/
What the hell am I doing here?/
I don't belong here"
"I want a perfect body/
I want a perfect soul"
which adequately not only describes the entire college experience for most people but the high school experience for just about anyone
and makes Mark Zuckerberg look like a huge loser (which apparently he really was).
so yeah, that was a huge highlight for me.