Sunday, July 25, 2010

There Are So Many God Damn People In This World

I love traveling. I really do. Why? Because I love to experience the thrill of being born again to a new place, a new environment, a new world with different cultures, foods, and climate. I relish the journey of getting to that place. A new development is happening. I fantasize about the trips I will embark on, the sites I will see, and the music I will hear; the artwork, the history, and the mass of people I don't know, will never know, and will never see again. I love traveling. It gives me the amazing opportunity to step back from my "busy," mundane, routine, machine life style and offers me a chance to live. That's why I'm in Korea. That's why I flew halfway around the world, lost 13 hours, dragged my giant ass suitcases from the airport, and embraced the wretched Korean humidity. Oops. My mistake.

I hate Facebook. Correction: I hate it when it ruins my life. By life, I mean current state of mind/mood. Most of the time, I waste hours creeping about, doing some "detective" work (creeping) and finding out random shit about people (oh she's in Europe. So and so are planning to meet up next weekend). The beauty of all this random shit is that it has nothing to do with me. I can know the lives of other plebians and not worry about the effects those lives will have on mine. It's like reading Harry Potter or Twilight or some other trashy, shallow stuff that's mildly entertaining and requires little effort and thought.

This is when I hate Facebook: Why are so many of my "friends" in KOREA? GOD DAMN IT!

By that, I'm not talking about the friends from high school that were international students. I mean, this is their home. I'm glad they're here. I came knowing they would be here. And I'll probably meet up with them some time when I get off my lazy ass. I know some people who are coming to this country. I'm glad they're coming. I know them, quite well. I might hang out with them. I'm excited to: have some meaningless chitchat, get fat on ice cream, watch a movie, laugh: basically, fun fun fun.

What I am not happy about: All these random people that I knew from middle school (I mean, middle school), and by middle I'm talking about the collective people I knew when I was a little snotnosed squirt in 6th, 7th, 8th grade whether through school, or private lessons, or camp -they're all here. And it honestly freaks the shit out of me. (Also tells me a lot about how diverse my friend pool was back then.) It terrifies me. What if I meet them in a museum and have to say hi and act like I'm all happy and shit to see them? What if I see them on the street? It's pretty likely. I mean, they're breathing all my fucking air. I hate it. What Happened to my God Damn Right to Invisibility?

It's times like these where I really fucking hate the fact that:

"it's a small world after all."

2 comments:

  1. LOL, well, it was to be expected, no? 50% of the population in Tfly are from Korea soo, they'd all probably wanna chill in their childhood homes during their summer vacation before freshman year of college. Pwahaha though I think it's kinda funny that even a few non-Koreans from THS are visiting Korea too. They're all probably sniffing out your hiding place as we speak. YOU CAN'T ESCAPE US FARRAH, WE LOVE YOU TOO MUCH. Hahahahah.

    Good luck, in case you really do end up having an awkward encounter with a Tfly person xD. Hopefully you'll be able to remember their names. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHA
    I saw this kid who was in my 4th grade class today at the supermarket...my mom walked over to his check-out booth and I saw this 10-year-old face slightly longer, much higher off the ground, and I was like
    NOOOOOOO
    dude this is what the solar system is for. Earth was just step 1.

    ReplyDelete