Sunday, May 23, 2010

Quotes

So, Today is a particularly stressful day for me. In ten years, every day will be stressful. I'll have a job (oh bummer) from 9:00 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Mondays - Fridays and I'll probably have kids... ooh... scary thought. These little tykes will ruin my life. I'll mark my own words. But, because I am young and have the privilege of only having certain days be stressful, today is a particularly stressful day for me. What does one do when stressed? Binge on food? Tried that, felt fat, then got intense stomach pains, and ... let's just say it wasn't pretty. Not eating? Felt numb, then weak, then binge eating, then felt fat, got intense stomach pains and... let's really just say it wasn't pretty. Now, I could go on and on and be all negative and turn your fabulous day into a shitty shithole of an evening, but that would make me feel depressed as well and what would that achieve? That would totally be throwing utilitarianism out the window... I think. So, today, since my own words are bound to be harsh and abrasive and make me and... possibly you... want to die, and because I'm not really in the mood to tell you to wiki death, though, if you're so inclined to, here's the link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death), I'll offer myself and you if you want it, some advice from... um... other people. Hence, QUOTES.

Everyone knows and loves Dr. Seuss. If you don't, well, sorry you're not American. (Did I just say something that's politically incorrect? Is Dr. Seuss big in, say, Scandinavia or... Estonia or... wait no, it can't be big in Canada? Right?! I'm kidding. Don't kill me. I love Canadians and Scandinavians and Estonians and people. (false. to the comment about liking people). Anyway, just for kicks, I looked up politically incorrect things to say. This is what came up: http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200706/ten-politically-incorrect-truths-about-human-nature.

Have fun reading it. I stopped after reading "blond bombshells." ) Dr. Seuss was a fucking genius. Not a genius writer, a genius children's book author, but a genius. He is like, the only person on this planet who managed to put life lessons that all parents have to teach their screaming and whiny kids into fun and colorful picture books. Now that's talent and if someone tells me that Le Petit Prince is also a brilliant children's book, I suggest that person read that book again. It's not a children's book. It's not written like one and it's just scary, or maybe Americans are just stupid. That's probably the truth. But anyway, I was looking at all these "inspirational" quotes and I realized that when someone pissed off, or at least when I am, all these quotes sound so fucking toolish and out of the hundreds that I've read (and I've actually been reading hundreds of quotes), it turns out the only ones that I liked and felt were genuine were from Dr. Seuss. So, cheers to Dr. Seuss.

And Now, Our feature Presentation: Quotes by Dr. Seuss.

"Today, you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."

Why I like this quote: It doesn't say anything about you being a good person or a bad person or a boring person or a shy person. It just states what people (me included) take for granted or think is obvious. Well, bitches and bastards and me, I think we all need to face the facts. We are who we are and that's the truth and that will always be the truth and nothing can change that truth.

Now isn't that inspirational? And if you think that previous sentence was sarcastic, you are a cynical and terrible person and you should stop reading. Right. Now.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

Rationale: I mean, how beautiful is that? It just speaks for itself. Yeah, it's sort of cliche, but only because it's so beautiful. I tend to be the person always thinking about the end of things: How am I going to move on without this or without that person or without friday night parties? But this quote really makes me think about living in the moment. Living in the Now. Living those fucking cliches and not trying to be so "modern" about things, not trying so hard to be different, to make a difference but to enjoy living, to enjoy my heartbeats and the blood that's pumping into my brains and then after it's all over, whether by growing older, or by dying, to be glad for "every single moment of my stupid little life." (American Beauty)

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Rationale: This one speaks for itself.

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."

Rationale: I know this quote and people think about falling in love as loving a person, an object, a career or whatever people "love" in their lives, but really I think this quote relates to the the previous quote. In this world, Everyone minds about you being you and you speaking what the you inside of you really wants to say. But finding someone, anyone, friends, family, lover, your dog, who truly doesn't mind and truly likes you for you- finding that escape from this hellish world, that's when you know you're in love and that you finally can want to stop sleeping because you're finally awake.

"I have heard there are trouble of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"

Rationale: That's fucking fantastic! It's optimistic but not pigheadedly delusional. It's motivational. It's welcoming the shit with open arms and finding the strength to literally beat the shit out of the shit. whoa. Whoa. WHOA. WHOA. WHOA. Yeah. Like I said, Dr. Seuss, you are my hero.

Now That I've calmed down and feel better thanks to mr. genius, I'll share the only quote I found today not by Dr. Seuss that I liked which was by Oscar Wilde:

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."

Lesson of the day: Don't die for yourself. You are you. Don't die for something you know is truer than true.

So, enjoy your beautiful days people, though some people might hate having so many beautiful days.

I'll end by a quote from White Mischief (the 1988 movie): "Oh God, not another fucking beautiful day."

That's right. Shittiness is also a gift sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment